Information for Parents and Caregivers
Suicide Prevention Organizations
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Jana Marie Foundation empowers young people, especially young women in their teens, to make positive choices, practice self-respect and maintain healthy relationships by providing opportunities for personal growth and self-expression. Through active community engagement and programs like The Stompers Project® and Candid Conversations video series, JMF works to promote mental health and prevent suicide in schools and communities.
- The Jason Foundation is dedicated to the prevention of youth suicide through educational and awareness programs. Including resources specifically for parents.
- Mental Health America: Country’s leading nonprofit dedicated to helping ALL people live mentally healthier lives. With our more than 320 affiliates nationwide, represents a growing movement of Americans who promote mental wellness for the health and wellbeing of the nation – everyday and in times of crisis. Suicide Factsheet
- National Organization for People of Color Against Suicide: Formed to stop the tragic epidemic of suicide in minority communities. Strategies include: research to identify the unique factors in minority communities that contribute to suicide, community-based strategies to prevent suicide and the associated problems of violence and depression, corporate partnerships to expand opportunity and build alliances in inner cities, and assistance to local government, law enforcement, schools, and mental health officials to make a bigger impact in suicide prevention.
- Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide: Started in 2006 by two fathers who had lost teenaged children to suicide. Core values: Passionate commitment to the value of life; belief in the effectiveness of evidence-based suicide prevention strategies; dedication to removing public stigma about suicide; conviction that accurate information and education about suicide can save lives. Includes sections for teens, parents and educators.
- Suicide Prevention Voices of Education (SAVE): The SAVE mission is to prevent suicide through public awareness and education, reduce stigma, and serve as a resource for those touched by suicide.
Videos and Webinars:
- Not My Kid: What Every Parent Should Know About Teen Suicide, 17-minute video from The Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide
- Suicide Prevention in Rural Communities – Click on the previous link and then click on 2009 and scroll down to June to find the webinar from On June 4, 2009, the Technical Assistance Partnership in Children’s Mental Health hosted a webinar on “Suicide Prevention in Rural Communities.” You can listen to the audio from the webinar as well as download the PowerPoint presentation.
- Nemours Foundation—About Teen Suicide: Largest and most-visited site on the web providing doctor-approved health information about children from before birth through adolescence. Created by The Nemours Foundation’s Center for Children’s Health Media, KidsHealth provides families with accurate, up-to-date, and jargon-free health information they can use.
- Means Matter: Resources from the Harvard School of Public Health on lethal means restriction.